One of my photos

One for Lynne Truss

February 22nd, 2010 · Posted by Skuds in Life · 4 Comments · Life

I was just wondering.  If your wife has two brothers who share a house, or a brother who lives with his civil partner, how do you apostrophise their house?  Is it “My brothers-in-law’s house”?  I reckon that is right, but it does sound pretty clumsy.


4 Comments so far ↓

  • Andrew

    Yeah, I’d go with that (for the former example, anyway). As you say, it’s a bit inelegant – might rephrase and say ‘the house of my brothers-in-law’ instead.

  • janeskuds

    Matt and Andy’s house. I’d always rather give people the names that make them individuals rather than the ones that place them in relation to me.

  • Skuds

    A suitably lateral solution.

    Or is it just avoiding answering the real question? I thought I was supposed to be the politician 😉

    • janeskuds

      If I need ed to explain my relationship to the couple in question then I would but I think its only at that point it means to come up. Without wishing to get feminist on yo’ ass maybe I think like that because I’m not willing to be thought of only as Rob’s wife or my father’s daughter. Obviously Skuds’ Sister is ok! (I’m a girl, I don’t have to be logical….)