I got my user ID and password for the Town Hall network today, so I popped in after work and got myself all set up so I can now get to the emails from home. That is going to make everything a lot easier from now on. I think I got to it in the nick of time, before the backlog built up too much. Only 44 emails since the account was set up the other day.
When I got home I had a much tougher challenge – sorting out Jayne’s World of Warcraft account. What made it even more fun is the fact that I have never played the game. The situation was that the program that apparently runs everything, battle.net, would not run. The Blizzard support people had said it might be a US version and it would be best to uninstall it and re-install the EU version so I tried to do that and soon ended up in a real vicious circle.
The program would not uninstall. An error message said that applying the patches to bring it up-to-date first would enable the uninstall. Already it was sounding a bit strange – upgrading software just so I can delete it. I tried, but the upgrade failed, saying there was something wrong and that the best solution would be to uninstall the whole thing. Catch-22!
I tried everything that Blizzard suggested and still no joy. I had basically given up, but noticed that AV had been turned off, and was out-of-date anyway. I downloaded some new AV software, installed it, and straightaway it detected some threats and removed them. Nothing too serious, just some adware crap. On a hunch I put back all the system settings I had changed and rebooted the PC, after which everything was fine and World of Warcraft was back in working order. As a bonus, there are a lot fewer pop-up adverts in Firefox now.
Yet again, having the lucky touch seems to trump technological knowledge 🙂